Friday, August 28, 2009

Done!!

After eleven weeks of work, I finally completed my last day at my last summer job. I didn't get around to posting last night, but yesterday we had an interesting new patient who was sent from an insurance company that deals with people who were in car accidents. One young lady had horrible visual field test results, and had such poor vision she struggled to even read the consent forms she had to sign. But the internal exams revealed nothing unusual, so the doctor had to conclude that the problems were likely neurological. The woman was so distressed and upset. It just reminded me that there will be times that optometrists will have to be the ones to give really bad news.

The last patients yesterday were also a family of three, who claimed that they were 'personal friends' of the doctor. Over lunch, he gave us a wry look and refused to confirm this, but he assured me that all of the problems I will face in the future will be due to 'friends and family'. And indeed the husband of that family was just a royal treat, with all his humming and hah-ing and attitude and impatience. That's just great.

Today was terribly busy. They definitely made me work for that last paycheck. The doctor was over half an hour behind. Patients were piling up, waiting for screening tests, fundus pictures, and help picking glasses. There was a patient with asymmetrical optic discs, and a small visual field defect in the eye with the more cupped disc - a prime suspect for a classic case of glaucoma. Another patient must have had some sort of binocular vision problem, so I did a first-time dispense for glasses with prism. The mother of one patient tried on half of the frames in the dispensary and didn't end up buying anything, which was just as well because her and her son's chart actually got lost in the midst of all the confusion and commotion. But at twenty past two, my coworker and I were outta there, and I walked out the door for the last time as an employee.

It's important not to say goodbye too quickly though. I still have to go back next week to pick up my things.

Days until school starts: 16

1 comment:

Jason Ho said...

wow, what a day.